For more information Contact Us
For press and publicity contact George on 07535184071
Rising Up! was formed by activists who have also been part of Compassionate Revolution, Earth First! Occupy, Plan Stupid, Radical Think Tank and Reclaim the Power. Rising Up! is linked to Compassionate Revolution which was birthed in the Occupy movement. We seek a better more beautiful world we recognise is both necessary and possible. It is an idea, a term that can be adopted. We share a vision for change which we hope is inclusive. We offer a space that can be used for actions needing collective intent.
Technically Compassionate Revolution Limited is a company limited by shares; we have no intention of profiting from this venture. As "Directors" we gift our time to the "company" and we will run the "company" along gift economy lines. If we need financial support for some element of the work, for example some technology changes, we may ask members to gift donations. We have incorporated because company Directors have limited liabilities- often with devastating consequences. We believe changes to the law are vital to hold company directors responsible for the activities of their companies.
As 'directors', it is our duty to uphold the mission of the Compassionate Revolution company to enable people power, in the face of the corruption of our democracy by vested interests. We understand that people may be willing to undertake acts of defiance, some of which could be illegal) in the pursuit of social and environmental justice and they may wish to share their actions with others. Our site and processes are designed to support such sharing.
Rising Up! is learning from the ways of working of some of the fastest grown social movements and organisations around the world. We draw on research on what works best:
- The network is based on small group decision-making, where people take advice / feedback then make their own decisions and are accountable for them. Continual review improves practice (this is “distributed organising”, rather than the old, slow consensus model).
- A strategy group takes feedback and makes a call on the dates of mass actions, the type of actions which will happen on that date and the broad frame and demands of these events.
- Other working groups will take overall responsibility for specific areas such as training and process, outreach and promotion, media and communications, logistics, movement care.
- An action group forms to organise the core action for an event, within the boundaries set by the strategy group. They consult with the other groups to create an action plan.
- The action group includes a coordination group for the action responsible for taking things forwards, alongside other working groups each with their own autonomy to take forward an area of responsibility (similar to the groups mentioned above, but action specific).
- Within a working group each member takes on clear roles which contribute to the aims of the group. Some are set (e.g. the facilitator), others are for specific tasks. Each person is autonomous to make the decisions to get their jobs done.
- If people want to do other actions on the set date they can set up their own autonomous group and use the same structure to get on with organising it.
Our Principles and Values are that:
1. WE HAVE A SHARED VISION OF CHANGE
Creating a world that is fit for the next 7 generations to live in.
2. WE SET OUR MISSION ON WHAT IS NECESSARY
Mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – such as “Momentum-driven organising” to achieve this.
3. WE NEED A REGENERATIVE CULTURE
Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
4. WE OPENLY CHALLENGE OURSELVES AND THIS TOXIC SYSTEM
Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
5. WE VALUE REFLECTING AND LEARNING
Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
6. WE WELCOME EVERYONE AND EVERY PART OF EVERYONE
Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
7. WE ACTIVELY MITIGATE FOR POWER
Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation
8. WE AVOID BLAMING AND SHAMING
We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
9. WE ARE A NON-VIOLENT NETWORK
Using nonviolent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
10. WE ARE BASED ON AUTONOMY AND DECENTRALISATION
We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of RisingUp!
How we share power and stop it becoming an issue
Without clear rules, inequalities of power and participation in groups persist and do not get noticed and dealt with. Our structure aims to increase efficiency by creating explicit clarity about roles and procedures. All members of each group will need a clear briefing about how their group works and how it fits into the larger structure.
- All the details on the ways of working are written down in our overview doucment, so that roles, responsibilities, and power in the network are explicit, clear and accountable.
- The core actions, dates, and frames are decided by the action coordination group taking feedback from a wider group of people with key knowledge and expertise. The people in this group are trained and experienced and the membership of this group rotates.
Rising Up! is run by volunteers . No one is paid for their work. Some of our expenses have been paid for by funders such as LUSH and we also crowdfund donations.
Why this is Necessary
We are initiating and promoting campaigns of civil disobedience in the UK, which may include the breaking of laws. Our movement is explicitly nonviolent and we intend no harm to any person. We believe this is necessary as a means to respond toe scientifically attested ecological threats and to challenge gross social injustices; as has happened many times in the past such as with the suffragettes, the civil rights movement in the USA, the Indian Independence movement, and the Rights to Roam in the UK. We stand on the shoulders of those movements. We stand within these traditions and learn from them.
For many of us these actions are motivated by spiritual beliefs as Pagans, Quakers, Buddhists, Jews and so on. We are called to act in service of a higher authority, a higher purpose or on behalf of the Mother Earth.
Through our action we seek to bring about
- A functioning democracy based on informed consent. We do not believe we have a functioning democracy in the UK. It has been captured by corporate and private interests and the media is owned by wealthy billionaires who use their power to systematically undermine informed public debate.
- Transformation of the political system, society and economy to ones which maximise well-being and minimizes harm. The existing political and economic system is set to destroy civilisation and much if not all life on earth if allowed to continue. This is most apparent in our society's inability to cut the carbon emissions which are creating catastrophic climate change, and through its reckless destruction of bio-diversity.
-A society of genuine equality without poverty and privilege. At present UK is becomes ever more grossly unequal due economic arrangements which vastly favour the wealthy elites.
No particular individual or group is responsible for this state of affairs. The problem is the whole system. It is out of control to the extent that it necessitates nonviolent civil disobedience as a means to prevent disaster and create the sane and equitable society we all desire and require for ourselves and future generations.